Cyber Law Attorney
We Know Internet Law
Helping our clients achieve their goals
Practice Area Overview
As a California based Internet and Cyber Law firm, we focus on helping our clients protect against cyber and ransomware attacks, domain name and trademark infringement and damage to their reputations from online harassment and defamation.
Get the help you need from a Cyber Law attorney
We offer legal advice on a variety of Internet, Security and Privacy subjects
Internet Law, computer law, or “cyber law” is a diverse area of practice covering everything from intellectual property, contracts, privacy, security, defamation, and more. Internet Law is changing as rapidly as the Internet itself and, as a result, if you need legal protection or advice about Internet Law compliance, you need an attorney familiar with the unique aspects and challenges of this ever-changing technology.
At the Law Offices of Scott Schumacher, we help our clients understand and manage the challenges and opportunities of the Internet.
Cybersquatting, or domain name hijacking is defined as bad faith registration of an internet domain name that is the same or confusingly similar to another’s trademark. There are three courses of action that can be pursued to effect a cancellation or transfer of an Internet domain registration: Bring a complaint under the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy (“UDRP”) process, File a complaint under the Uniform Rapid Suspension System (“URS”), or file a Federal lawsuit under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (“ACPA”).
Uniform Domain-Name Dispute Resolution Policy, or UDRP
In order to succeed in a UDRP complaint, you will need to prove the following three elements:
- The domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which you have rights.
- The registrant of the domain name has no rights or legitimate interest in respect to the domain name, and
- The domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith
If you believe that the previous three elements apply to the registered domain in question, contact an attorney to see if UDRP, URS, or ACPA can be used to protect your trademark.
Security and Ransomware
Commercial ransomware attacks grew by over 300% in 2019, and the number of attacks on businesses is expected to increase. Whether your mission critical data is stored in an on-premises server or in the cloud, ransomware can still cripple your company if you are attacked. The time to prepare for cybersecurity and ransomware attacks is now, before you are attacked. There are several things that your company can do today to prepare for a cyberattack. These include:
- Keep your software and hardware firmware up to date with the latest security patches
- Back up your Business’s data, preferably following the rule of 3-2-1: three copies of the data, using two different backup media, with at least one copy stored offsite.
- Train your staff to be on the lookout for suspicious emails or websites
- Computer Administrator level access should only be granted to IT personnel who actually need this high level of authority to complete their jobs
- Consider purchasing Cyber Insurance to mitigate losses from data breaches, business interruption, and data loss.
The Law Firm of Scott Schumacher can help you to complete a cybersecurity audit and to review your General Liability Insurance to know if you are covered against cyberattack. Finally, if you have already been infected by a ransomware attack our attorneys may be able to help you negotiate with the attacker or to bring a claim for loss of business revenue suffered as a result of a ransomware attack.
Online Harassment and Defamation
Online harassment can take a variety of forms, including threatening or harassing emails, social media, blog posts, and instant messages. Defamation is a false statement that is harmful to someone’s reputation that has been maliciously or negligently published. Harassment and defamation can create civil, and in some cases criminal liability for the publishers of objectionable content. If you are the victim of harassment or online defamation, our attorneys can review your case to see if we can help you stop the bullying and in some cases recover financial compensation for damage to your reputation.